"No, sweetheart, I'm just really happy to see you." This started a discussion about the Top-10 best and worst "pick-up" lines for winemakers and vineyard owners. So, here goes, not in any particular order. (Government warning: Some of these lines are high octane and only recommended when the other party has consumed 1.2 bottles of wine.)
1. I'm driving to Paso Robles next weekend to scout out land for planting a vineyard ... would you like to be my co-pilot?
2. The view of the full moon in my vineyard is magnificent ... would you like to come over with a few friends and see it?
3. I really like your carboys.
4. May I put my bung in your barrel?
5. Said to a vineyardista clearing away a plate of prosciutto, "Wait a moment. May I have a piece?"
6. Would you like to help me bottle wine next weekend? I'll let you do the corking.
7. "How is the wine?"
"May I taste it from your lips?"
8. Would you like to see me peel a grape with my teeth and my tongue?
9. Would you like to plant a vineyard with me?
10. Would you like to go for a vineyard tour next month -- in Italy?
11. If you were starring in a movie about wine, which character would you be?
12. I think we could make beautiful wine together.
13. The gophers around here are quite clever and have found ingenious places to hide. Do you mind if I check for one in your tunnels?
14. Since vineyard owners spend all of their money on women and wine, may I spend everything I have left on you?
What are the best lines you've heard? Please leave your comments below.
As the Princess was in town, I let her prune 3 "Ugly Hanako" Aglianico vines this afternoon -- we will soon begin pruning in earnest and you can be sure something's going to happen you'll want to read about.